Post-School Success is a programme designed to leverage different stakeholders in a Nova Pioneer student’s ecosystem to facilitate a student’s exploration and understanding of themselves. The programme provides students with exposure to diverse post-secondary opportunities, and supports them to identify the best fit opportunities to pursue in alignment with their goals for life after graduating from Nova Pioneer. Post-School Success aims to empower students to take charge of their post-school exploration and planning, and wants them to feel supported by their parents/guardians and Nova Pioneer throughout this process.
What does Nova Mean by ‘Success’?
Nova Pioneer defines ‘success’ as every Nova Pioneer student graduating with the skills and capacity to pursue her/his passion, through the best post-secondary fit.
Post-School Success will encourage students to explore many post-secondary options,
- Enrolling in a university directly after graduating (having applied during final year)
- Enrolling in a Technical and Vocational Education and Training institute to start training immediately for a chosen career (having applied during final year)
- Enrolling in an A-level program directly after graduating to continue preparation for university study
- Taking a ‘gap’ year to polish the academic record, start a venture, or explore a passion before applying to and entering university
- Pursuing practical training or work to gain practical experience before entering university
- Starting on a career track by entering the workforce immediately
What does the Post-School Success (PSS) Team provide across Nova Pioneer Schools?
Post-School Success aims to facilitate a process of self-exploration, understanding of post-secondary opportunities, and the pursuit of these opportunities for both students and their parents/guardians. The PSS Team works toward this end by:
- Helping students explore their passions, skills/talents, interests, and goals
- Equipping students with information and tools to make good fit decisions
- Equipping parents/guardians with information and tools to support their students to make good fit decisions
- Providing support and encouragement to both students and parents/guardians
Below are a list of activities involved in the PSS programme:
- PSS sessions for students – monthly and/or termly, depending on grade level
- One-on-one meetings for upper school students upon request
- Subject selection support for Grade 9s and 11s
- PSS Speaker Series for students, staff, and parents/guardians
- University representative visits to campus (as and when possible)
- Career Days attendance for students (as and when possible, either on or off campus)
- Family Meetings with PSS staff upon request
- Take a Child to Work Days – student participation in these initiatives hosted by industry and educational partners when available and appropriately timed
- Job shadowing and/or internships – driven by students during school holidays with preparation and debrief sessions held by PSS Team as and when needed
What do we hope will be achieved through this programme?
Through engagement with and participation in the PSS programme and supporting Nova Pioneer structures, students should:
- Feel empowered to unearth and explore their skills, talents, interests, and goals
- Feel empowered to articulate their life goals and garner support from key stakeholders, including their parents/guardians
- Feel empowered to research, explore, and pursue post-secondary opportunities that align with their life goals
Through engagement with and participation in the PSS programme and supporting Nova Pioneer structures, parents/guardians should:
- Better understand their student’s skills, talents, interests, and goals
- Provide information and guidance that helps their student pursue their goals
- Support their student’s process and decisions